You've prepared all year for your performance... so why have your makeup fall short? To have your performance makeup be the best it can be, you will need the right tools. Applying dance makeup with good quality makeup brushes makes all the difference in the world! There are so many different kinds of makeup brushes out there... so which will you need?
Well... let's chat about that! Here are the 8 essential makeup brushes you will need to create the perfect stage makeup look.
8 Must-Have Makeup Brushes
1. Large Powder Brush/Complexion Brush
This should be used to apply loose or pressed translucent powder. Never use this powder brush with your blush... the bristles are too loose to be able to control the placement of the blush, which can leave you with crazy looking cheeks!
2. Blush Brush
It shouldn’t be too big or too small – a medium sized brush is best. This way, you CAN control where your product goes, but still be able to blend it around.
3. Foundation Brush
This brush should be quite dense. You can either apply the foundation to the face, and use the brush to blend, or add the foundation to the brush itself.
4. Medium Eye Shadow Brush
A medium sized brush is best, not too big. This brush is great for both light and medium shadow colors. The denser the brush, the more product it can pack on to the lids.
5. Eye Shadow Blending Brush
To avoid any streakiness, use this brush to blend out the shadow you have already applied to the lids.
6. Angled Shadow Brush
A medium-sized angled brush is great for more detailed application. For instance, it works great for placing darker shadows in the crease!
7. Angled Eyeliner/Brow Brush
This double duty brush! The fine edge allows you to do ultra-detailed application, as needed for liner or eyebrows.
8. Lip Brush
This brush is essential for a dance makeup kit. Most of our palettes include a lipstick pan in it, so to be able to apply this, you will need this brush! Even when using a lipstick tube, perfect application becomes much easier with a brush.
Where do I find these brushes?
Surprise, surprise! JAM Cosmetics happens to have a brush set containing all of these brushes. Check them out here! They are super soft, great quality, don't shed, and most importantly, are cruelty free!
How To Care for Your Makeup Brushes
Now that you have the perfect set of makeup brushes to apply your performance makeup, you also need to care for them properly. Proper care will help your brushes last longer and prevent infections. You don't even need a fancy brush cleaner... shampoo works just fine! Follow these steps below to ensure your brushes remain as clean and cared-for as possible!
- Put a dime-sized dollop of shampoo into the palm of your hand.
- Wet your makeup brushes under running water or in a cup of water.
- Swirl your makeup brush in the palm of your hand creating suds.
- Rinse your hands and brush under running water until the water runs clear.
- Finally, squeeze excess water out of the makeup brush with a towel and lay them down on a towel flat to dry overnight. Do not stand makeup brushes up to dry. When brushes are left standing up to dry, water can get down into the handle/bristles and deteriorate the glue that holds bristles to brush handle. Lay them down flat, or hang upside-down to dry.
- For brushes that are used daily, they must be cleaned once a week. If you will only be using these brushes for performances, you should be cleaning them after 5-7 uses. If you don't to clean them often enough, you can get infections or breakouts, so it is very important that you do this. It is for your own health!