Facebook Question: How can you make your makeup sweat proof or at least not have sweat lines?
Great question! Regardless of whether you are a dancer going on stage, a bride walking down the aisle, at work and about to enter a meeting… you never want blotchy, creased, or faded makeup, right? In fact, when would we EVER say to ourselves, “Today I don’t really care if my makeup runs down my face, leaves me with spotty, blotchy skin or looks kind of ‘blah’ and faded.” This is never the case!
There are three main things you need to consider for beautiful sweat-proof/sweat-resistant makeup:
1. Skin care
Your skin is the canvas that you apply your makeup too. If it is not in its healthiest, smoothest, and moisturized condition, how can your makeup look its best?
- Mornings – clean your face with good skin cleanser, toner, and moisturizer that is appropriate for your skin type.
- Evenings – use a makeup remover (I use and love Cetaphil!) to remove your makeup THEN clean your skin with a good skin cleanser, toner, and moisturizer that is appropriate for your skin type.
- Skin care TIP: Always use a washcloth when cleansing because it exfoliates (removes dead, dry skin cells) as well as cleaning the skin.
2. Cosmetics Ingredients:
So many makeup companies these days are advertising “24 hour long color” or “all day coverage” makeup products. But, really, what kind of chemicals would you need to put in product to make it stay on for 24 hours? It's scary to think about it! AND if those chemicals are in your lipstick, you’re EATING them and ingesting them into your body through your mouth! So, it's best to AVOID anything that says “waterproof” or “sweat-proof” because it's hardly possible for it to be sweat-proof without a ton of junky ingredients in it. High quality, professional grade “water-resistant/sweat-resistant” products are available at JAM Cosmetics, that don't have harsh, harmful chemicals to the body. It's best to choose products that have ingredients that naturally do what is needed. For example, high quality mineral makeup colors are naturally water-resistant and smudge-resistant. You don’t need to add anything to them to make them that way…they just are that way! Pretty cool, right?
Okay, so we’ve got a beautiful canvas to apply our lovely professional quality cosmetics to… Now what? Even the application makes a difference in getting the best water-resistant results from your makeup!
- Foundation: If you use mineral makeup colors over a face with no foundation or a low quality foundation, your colors can still get blotchy and fade. Your face will have areas that will get moist (sweaty!) and some areas that will not which makes colors look blotchy and discolored. For stage, it is recommended to use a water-resistant, cream foundation because it is thicker and more opaque giving the skin an even, water-resistant base to apply your mineral makeup colors on top of. At JAM cosmetics, we have a fabulous water-resistant foundation – JAM Perfection Stix Foundation. Because it is in a stick form, it glides on the face and can be easily smoothed out with a makeup sponge. Street/Stage Makeup TIP: Use foundation over eyelid as a “base” to even out tone.
- Make sure there are no foundation creases on the lid BEFORE you start to apply colors! If you apply your eye shadow to foundation that has a crease in it, the color will settle into that creased line and “set” the line there for the rest of the day.
- After applying your mineral makeup colors, brush a light dusting of setting powder over the entire face to smooth out any unblended lines and to “set” the makeup in place. Try our lovely rice/mineral setting powder!